[Sca-cooks] Re: Manus Christi with pearls

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Sep 30 14:46:24 PDT 2005

I started this but am only about halfway through all the citations.
I realized it was going to be one huge document so I shall split it up
a bit into smaller postings and then combine it into a file for
Stefan.

Here's a mid 16th century source. Note the use of pearls here.
Gold isn't mentioned. These recipes are coming out of more medical texts
than culinary which may the reason that Countess Alys
never encountered them in the past. Also this database
is relatively new.

Hope this helps   Johnnae llyn Lewis

Bullein, William, d. 1576.

Title: Bulleins bulwarke of defence against all sicknesse, soarenesse,
and vvoundes that doe dayly assaulte mankinde: which bulwarke is kept
with Hilarius the gardener, [and] Health the phisicion, with the
chirurgian, to helpe the wounded soldiours. Gathered and practised from
the most worthy learned, both olde and new: to the great comfort of
mankinde: by VVilliam Bullein, Doctor of Phisicke. 1562.  This edition
published in 1579. It dates from 1562.

Page numbers not given for every page which makes it hard to cite
exactly where in the text the quote comes from. This is a work on cures
and medicines that is
now up on EEBO Full Text. It's written in the form of a Q&A session.

----------------
Sickenes.: How make you Manus Christi?

Health.:

FIrst take of Suger claryfied and melted in the Water of Roses. l i.ss.
seeth these two tyll the water be consumed and the Suger hard, in the
end of your decoction put in. &dram;.ss. of Perles or precious stones,
made in fyne pouder, then lay it vpon a Marbell stone anoynted wyth oyle
of Ro|ses or Uyolets, or Rose water. Page 14

------------
Later it says

Marcellus.: What say you of Pearle called the Margarite?

Hilarius:

THe Pearle is not only riche and pleasant to behold, but also holsome
and good in medicine. Plinie. lib. 9. cap. 35. sayth, that there be
plen|ty of Pearles in Arabia, in the mouth of the Red sea, growing
with|in the shelles, called the mother of Pearle, in whych they are
conueyed: the vnion which is cleane, bryght, whyte, round, and heauy, is
the richest. The pouder of Pearle is good to be put in cordialles, as
Manus Christi, and the same pouder with the white of an Egge, will
clense the eyes. About thys Realme many Pearles be gathered in Muscels,
and other Shell fishe, but not the most orient.

By the mid 17th century it was a plague cure. Again made with pearls.

Edwards, 17th cent.
Title: A treatise concerning the plague and the pox discovering as well
the meanes how to preserve from the danger of these infectious
contagions, as also how to cure those which are infected with either of
them. Publication date: 1652.

give oftentimes a cake of Manus Christi, made with Perls for him to eat.