[Sca-cooks] Rollmops recipe 41

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 9 10:32:11 PDT 2006

Greetings from Gwen Cat to Huette and the list,

Sorry, I have not waded through all the messages on
the thread, so if this has already been posted,
forgive me.
Rollmops, being both salty and sour, is a traditional
hangover breakfast.

The following recipe is modern, I make no claims for
historical ancestry.
Rollmops recipe, translated from
http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/1281990432994/Rollmops.html

for 4 servings:

6 salt herrings (lucky you if you can get them in your
area!)
1T hot/sharp/spicy mustard (ie not yellow hot dog
stuff ;-)
2 small pickles (cut into chunks as wide as your
herring fillet)
1 onion (thinly sliced)
1T capers

for the brine:
1 C vinegar
.5 C water
2 onions, in slices
8 peppercorns
2 bayleaves
mustardseeds (optional ~1T)

Combine brine ingredients, bring to a boil and let
cool.

Water the herring (soak in changes of water overnight,
to get some of the salt out) remove bones and cut into
halves.
Spread inside (not skin side) of halves with mustard,
place a pickle chunk some finely sliced onion and
capers on them and roll up. Fasten with a toothpick.
Pour the brine over and put in the fridge.  Can be
tasted after 2-3 days but much better after 5.

Personally I don’t recall the capers in there, but
seem to think carrot was involved
  Play with it, it
might be a place to start.

In Service
Gwen Cat
Wishing for some (no, not cause of a hangover)

-----snipped-----