[Sca-cooks] Netiquette and Courtesy (was STOP TOP POSTING!)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 11 10:55:30 PDT 2006

Following up on Celia's well thought out and well stated post:

Clearly sensible and thoughtful editing is the main issue. And
clearly top posting can be done in a responsible and courteous way.

But i singled out top posting because my experiences in e-mail lately
on many lists (and it really wasn't this bad 2 years ago) is that far
too many people who top post don't bother to edit, whereas with many
other styles of posting people are more likely to edit.

I'm not attacking those here to top post and edit. But many top
posters get lazy, and top posting without considering the effects on
others is too easy. They just hit the reply button, type in their
often rather brief response, and hit send. They don't bother to
scroll down and see what they're sending. If another top poster does
the same, then the amount of garbage that gets sent is doubled. Each
new top poster in the thread compounds the mess. This is far worse on
Yahoo than it is on this list, since Yahoo adds advertisements anf
longer footers than this list's e-mail handler. And this sort of top
posting is really easy in any kind of web mail i've seen or
experienced.

On a Yahoo list i recently got a message that had EIGHT previous
messages, so this message had nine headers, nine sig lines, nine
Yahoo footers and nine sets of advertisements and advertising links
because somebody was receiving html and most of the footers included
ads that don't get included with other settings. Of course i'd also
gotten the previous message which had the SEVEN previous messages
etc., and the previous message with SIX previous messages etc. - and
so on.

I get many lists as digests - yes, my choice, but the problem is the
same in single messages - and i get so annoyed that i EDIT the mail i
RECEIVE (yes, my own idiosyncrasy, and nice that my e-mail client
allows it). By removing redundant headers, footers, sig lines,
messages (when there are 8 repeated messages that i've already
received and read) and ads, i've reduced the size of some digests by
75 per cent. I keep the relevant parts of previous messages. I like
including the relevant parts of previous messages. But with the sort
of top posting i'm describing, usually completely irrelevant previous
messages are included.

I don't have endless disk storage space, and i like to save many
messages because they contain useful information.

I realize that some people are using the odd e-mail program here and
there that really doesn't allow them to edit - and on a list i own at
least one listee has some physical problems that makes it difficult
for her to edit. Anyone in these sorts of situations has no other
option, other than to change e-mail programs - which isn't always
possible, if they're posting from work - or to just go off-line,
which might really be bad for people in isolated places or personal
situations where they need the human contact they get in e-mail.

On Yahoo (which fortunately this list is not) many list subscribers
are fairly e-mail clue-free, and in many lists the people are often
not terribly computer literate.

Computer and e-mail netiquette goes back well over 25 years - but 25
years ago the computer community was quite small and limited.
Nowadays, anybody can buy a cheap computer and get e-mail and often
they don't realize what netiquette is.

Handbooks of personal etiquette go back well into SCA -period (ooh,
see, content relevant to the subject of this list :-) But on-line
etiquette, even though it has a history going back over 2 decades is
not so well known or disseminated.

I keep hoping that in this specific on-line community of SCA-Cooks,
here in Papa Gunthar's virtual living room, people will be more
thoughtful, courteous, and sensible.

I don't normally rave and rant (and i've been on this list for 7
years - longer than i've been going to SCA events), but between the
unedited top posting on this list recently and on the other lists i
get (and i don't bother to say anything on mundane lists frequented
by the barely computer literate) i surpassed my tolerance level.

Please - it only takes a few extra SECONDS to edit previous messages
if you are not physically disabled or limited by your e-mail program.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita