[Sca-cooks] STOP TOP POSTING

Judith L. Smith Adams judifer50 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 11 13:00:56 PDT 2006

Like everything else human, net courtesy is learned behavior, and further, has to be based on understanding the system.  I've used email for years, but am new to lists, and until my 3-page, 7-message, one-word reply post hit the hot button, I truly didn't realize the problem this made for digest subscribers.  I made a very public apology for my mistake, and now that I know about it, I'll be more careful.

  To friends, I often make short, quick replies that let them know I got their message and I'm still out there when I don't have time for a longer and more thoughtful response. I've been involved in several "conversations" on this list that were not, obviously, private, but where I felt some obligation to let the last writer know that I, personally, had read the message.  I've felt bad when I never got round to carrying on my part of the conversation.  It was such a situation that produced the offending email that set off this discussion.  Won't do it again on this list.

  I, too, save a lot of email, and I quite like it when a single post preserves an entire thread of messages.  Apparently that doesn't work for digest subscribers, and I'm not arrogant enough to believe their needs are less than mine.  Being basically a respectful person, I have no problem with Gunthar making the rules for his house and hope to remain welcome in it.  Being basically a cooperative and friendly soul, I'll try to make things easier for the digest folk and trim my posts and avoid top-posts, and if I slip up, I'll expect to be chastised and hope to be forgiven.

  Now, the original STOP message wasn't directed at me personally that I know of, I was by no means the only offender, and I'm being oversensitive, but I'd appreciate it if the conversation could get back to food and things medieval and weddings and fun stuff.  I'm starting to flinch every time I see the "STOP TOP POSTING" line in a message.

  Moving on, and hope y'all will, too.
  Judith