[Sca-cooks] Imperium Compound

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 13 10:51:23 PDT 2006

... recipe needed for the upcoming WorldCon the World Science Fiction
Convention in Anaheim.  There are foodies on the staff who are tracking
Important Drink Recipes in the history of our subculture, and this is
definitely one of them.

Dierdrianna of the Misty Isles made us a batch once, long long ago, and
I think it involved simple syrup and lime but forget the rest.  Not too
surprisngly.  *hic*

In hopes of evoking responses, let me offer trade goods in advance:

Lemon Amaretto Italian Ices

>From a booklet mailed out on request from Amaretto di Saronno, long
before the Internet made downloading these things so much easier.

2 cups water
3/4 cups sugar
Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup amaretto liqueur
2 egg whites

In a saucepan, combine water and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil and boil
it for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon rind and juice and
amaretto. Pour mixture into a freezer container and freeze until mushy.
In the meantime, beat the egg whites until very stiff. Pour into a bowl
and beat until smooth. Fold in beaten egg whites, then put the whole
mixture back into the freezer container and freeze until hard.

Best, Selene Colfox
selene at earthlink.net