[Sca-cooks] Imperium Compound

ekoogler1 at comcast.net ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 13 11:59:46 PDT 2006

From: Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net>
> ... recipe needed for the upcoming WorldCon the World Science Fiction
> Convention in Anaheim.  There are foodies on the staff who are tracking
> Important Drink Recipes in the history of our subculture, and this is
> definitely one of them.
>
> Dierdrianna of the Misty Isles made us a batch once, long long ago, and
> I think it involved simple syrup and lime but forget the rest.  Not too
> surprisngly.  *hic*
>
> In hopes of evoking responses, let me offer trade goods in advance:
>
> Lemon Amaretto Italian Ices
>
> >From a booklet mailed out on request from Amaretto di Saronno, long
> before the Internet made downloading these things so much easier.
>
> 2 cups water
> 3/4 cups sugar
> Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
> 1/2 cup amaretto liqueur
> 2 egg whites
>
> In a saucepan, combine water and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil and boil
> it for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon rind and juice and
> amaretto. Pour mixture into a freezer container and freeze until mushy.
> In the meantime, beat the egg whites until very stiff. Pour into a bowl
> and beat until smooth. Fold in beaten egg whites, then put the whole
> mixture back into the freezer container and freeze until hard.
>
> Best, Selene Colfox
> selene at earthlink.net

Are you just looking for period drinks or can they be modern?  I have a couple at home that I can share, one of which is definitely modern, the other a recipe for lemoncello that I've pretty much figured is out of period, but has still been around for a while...while it's not striclty a "drink" but more of a liqueur, it is very tasty.

Kiri