[Sca-cooks] (no subject)

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Fri Apr 14 13:25:40 PDT 2006

wildecelery at aol.com wrote:

> A Few notes on Picky Eating/Allergies:
>
> Many people considered me a picky  eater for most of my life.  As I have
> gotten older, we have discovered that many of the foods that I wouldn't eat
> are actually things that I'm allergic to.   I tend to bring  some food of my
> own to most events.  I also contact feastocrats ahead to see what I can/can't
> eat.

Yay, you.  I'm generally willing to make adjustments to accommodate
people who genuinely _can't_ (as opposed to _won't_) eat some foods and
contact me ahead of time.

> However, I know I have a problem when I'm told that something isn't an
> ingredient, and find out as I'm eating it, or afterwards that It's somethign I
> shouldn't have. I also have a difficult time signing up for a Feast if I can't
> get hold of a detailed ingredient list before the reservation deadline.

I rarely have a detailed ingredient list that early in the piece, but as
I said, I will actually do things to assist those with genuine issues,
including alternate foods, adjusted dishes, ingredient lists, etc.
Bottom line-- if you've contacted me ahead of time and you have allergy
issues that will not allow you to have a good meal, I will either make
adjustments to ensure you can eat and enjoy, or offer to arrange a half-price
"nibbler's" ticket so that you can come along, bring some food and eat whatever
items you safely can.

> Though I see the concern about "cramping" the period aspects of a Feast, I
> also see how this situation can be hard on Royals. Having worked in several
> royal households, I can say that many  of them don't have time to pack a full
> day's worth of food for travel, or time to set-up at a feast table..as well as
> not wanting to offend hard-working cooks by pulling out their own foods at a
feast.

I am _never_ offended if the issue is a genuine one and brought to my attention
_before_ the feast.  For someone with food allergies, I feel nothing but
sympathy. And for very fussy eaters, I feel it's childish, but it's their loss,
not mine.

--
Adele de Maisieres