Subject: Re: arugula..was Re: [Sca-cooks] Recipes

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 22:38:59 PDT 2006

That is why I added "maybe", because I wasn't sure if arugula was rocket or not.

There is no need for "maybe" arugula is /Eruca vesicaria/, i.e. rocket. It is an herb
no longer  in use today, except in rural areas. It is an annual native of Asia and Southern Europe. It was cultivated in all medieval gardens on the Mediterranean during the Middle Age. It seems to have been unknown in France
and England. The plant contains jamba oil, used initially for making pickles. After six months the oil loses its acrid taste and is then used for cooking, as a lubricant and for burning. Young leaves, having a sharp hot taste, were eaten in salads and
used to season stews. The salads were well liked in the 15^th  C. Rocket is diuretic used to relieve stomach upsets; rubbed on skin it causes local reddening. Like mustard rocket was thought to be hot and excited one to perform
lechery.