[Sca-cooks] Brains [I hope] over brawn...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Apr 19 19:35:15 PDT 2006

Hullo, the list!

And given what's going on in some of the other threads I started or
helped start recently, I wouldn't blame anyone for misinterpeting
this post as anything _but_ a set of preliminary notes on the making
of salted pork for brawn. However, that's what this is.

I find myself cooking for an event in mid-May, in a kitchen whose
facilities and equipment I am still not completely sure (but expect
to find out more about soon), and I wanted to serve some hot and some
cold foods, in an attempt to make life easier on myself and the other
cooks, while still having some hot foods in the event that it's cold
and wet on the day in question. We're also trying to pay pretty close
attention to seasonal foods, and where meats are concerned, a meat
preserved from the previous slaughtering season, supplemented by
small game (a.k.a. rabbit and duck) and possibly some lamb, seems
like the way we're going.

To that end, I'm producing some petit sale, which is a French salt-
pork variant, dry-rubbed with curing stuff and allowed to form a
brine, generally in a crock or barrel, in which the meat pickles. I
had a couple of what I thought were pretty neat ideas, and over the
next few weeks I'll be revisiting this topic to discuss which ideas
were in fact good, and which crummy.

Looking at a chunk or two of corned beef in the freezer, it occurred
to me that I might save some room and generally make things a little
more flexible if I vacuum-sealed plastic packets of the pork and the
pickling salt, sugar, and spices, to get individually-wrapped, brine-
packed pork roasts, which I can boil/simmer a day or two in advance
of the event, chill, and serve sliced with compost and Lombard mustard.

One of the local markets had whole, boneless pork loins for sale this
week for $2.49/lb, which is not as good a price as I can sometimes
get, but for the boneless ones, not bad at all, given that my budget
is fairly high. Since they're boneless and will be salt-cured, I'm
figuring two or three little slices per person should be more than
enough, especially with another meat in the same course, and I
believe I can feed up to ~100 or more people with three whole loins,
which is about 27 pounds.

My cure mixture for that amount of meat is about 4 pounds of salt, 4
Tbs sugar, 4 tsp black peppercorns, 4 tsp coriander seed, 2 Tbs of
crushed, dried bay leaf, 2 Tbs white mustard seed, and about a tsp of
whole cloves. I thought about adding some saltpeter to keep the meat
pink, but decided in the end not to bother with it this time.

I cut each piece of meat in half to get a total of six large pork
loin "roasts", each over four pounds. I divided the salt mixture into
six, and rubbed a little of the salt mixture into each chunk of meat,
then packed it into each of six prepared, large (about 16" x 11")
plastic bags off a roll that came with one of those Foodsaver vacuum
sealer gizmos. Each bag got a chunk of meat, a heaping cup of
additional salt mixture thrown over it, and each was carefully vacuum-
sealed to remove air and give any liquid no place to go but someplace
where there was salt to mix with.

My plan is that by morning, the basis for a nice brine will have
formed in each pouch, and with a little effort at redistributing salt
and brine in each, by the time I'm done I'll have meat as evenly and
fully pickled as I would if I used a crock, a lid and a weight to
hold the meat down.

Currently, the roasts are in the fridge, but if we get some weather
warmer than a fridge but not over 60 degrees F., I may park the meat
outside on the balcony for a few hours at a time, on the theory that
warmer temperatures (within reason; I will be taking temperatures)
will allow the brine to penetrate the meat faster and more completely
than it would in the fridge.

I'll let the list know how things progress, and will gladly answer
any questions as best I can; I just figured that if this method
works, it might prove useful somewhere along the line.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04