[Sca-cooks] period pickles and chutney

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 20 20:38:46 PDT 2006

Judith, who must have chutney in her life,said:

 > And how about some portable pickles... and a bit of chutney?

Are you talking specifically about pickled cucumbers? Or are you
including other pickled items when you mention "pickles"? Before I
joined this list "pickles" meant only pickled cucumbers to me. Now, I
know not only are there a multitude of different varieties of pickled
cucumbers, but there are quite a number of other pickled food items,
both vegetable and meat.

A few Florilegium files on these:
pickled-foods-msg (130K) 2/ 6/06    Medieval pickled food. recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/pickled-foods-msg.html
pickled-meats-msg (58K) 10/11/01    Period pickled meats. Lord's
Salt. recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/pickled-meats-msg.html
presrvd-lemons-msg (28K)  2/ 6/04    Dried, pickled and salted
preserved lemons.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/presrvd-lemons-msg.html
sauerkraut-msg    (36K)  9/25/05    Period sauerkraut and pickled
cabbage.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/sauerkraut-msg.html

   Is a chutney-like substance of the sweet-sour cooked variety even
remotely period anywhere??  Seems to me that Major Grey and his
cousins are a 19th century British attempt to home a bit of India,
but was there something LIKE them in period?
<<<

If chopped finely, compost is perhaps the closest medieval equivalent
to chutney.
compost-msg       (72K)  3/ 7/05    A pickled food of fruits and
vegetables.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/compost-msg.html

Stefan
--------