[Sca-cooks] Royals etc...

wildecelery at aol.com wildecelery at aol.com
Fri Apr 21 05:53:21 PDT 2006

I think it really depends on where you are  how peerage standards are viewed.

As the curret baby Pelican of the East, I haven't gotten to see what standards are expected on the Pelican list as far as comments on recommendations.  I do knwo that the standards often run high on the Silver Crescent list.

My husband is a squire...and I keep trying to steer him towards the old standards...play chess..know at least 2 dances by heart...wear decent garb off the field and semi-decent garb at least...on the field... but he is under the impression that, at least here in the East, it really about fighting and the other stuff is a good plan, btu not always a requirement.

Having worked several royal households...I don't know if I'd say that  Royals who are not both another kind of peer don't understand peerages or their value.  I will say that I have noticed things running more smoothly when Royals who are not members of the other Orders have close advisors, frieds and retainers who are in the orders. (In some cases, I've seen Royals who were apprentices show a clear grasp of the Laurelate, because their Master/Mistress was beside them all the way as a quiet reminder)  Perhaps they relate better because the enjoy and admire someone close to them who epitomizes these Orders, and it makes it easier to recognize the goals/purposes of the Orders when you have faces that go with them.

My $.02

-ardenia