[Sca-cooks] Mysost/Gjetost (cheese)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Apr 30 00:12:54 PDT 2006

Eibhlin mentioned:

As an added note, don't try making any Mysost/Gjetost,
etc. from the whey of an acid separated cheese.  All
that work of cooking the whey down to a peanut butter
consistency and you had this nasty flavor from
whatever acid you used.  Blech!
  <<<

What is this kind of cheese? Is it a cheese? I don't think we've
discussed this before. Is this like making a Ricotta cheese, except
you boil down the whey rather than just creating curds from it? What
do you end up with? A soft, fresh type cheese?

Was this Mysost/Gjetost cheese made in period? Was it done in just
one region? From the name I might guess Germany, but I don't know.

If I wanted to try this type of cheese today, is this the name I
would look for in the cheese section? Central Market and Whole Foods
seem to have pretty large cheese departments in my area.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com