[Sca-cooks] Jewish Influence in Spanish Medieval Cookery

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 20:51:31 PDT 2006

A fe weeks ago I was asked to expound upon this subject. As the
Jews entered Spain in 1 AD all I see is that their cookery grew with
Islamic and Christian innovations. I cannot vision anything unique in
their cooking as I have never found a Jewish cookery manuscript. What
Gitlitz and Davidson have to offer are recipes from the other two
cultures. Perhaps we can say matzah but Maimonides/ /who first
denominated this bread was living in Muslim Spain so how do we know if
it is Jewish? It could be an  Islamic adaption. Certainly I question any
bread without yeast as the Islamic communities did not use yeast as much
as Christians in medieval Spain.
     All I see in Hebrew cookery that could be unique is *huevos*
*haminados*, Heb. /hamindas, /Eng hard boiled red or brown eggs cooked
in onion skins for dafina.
     In short my question is: did Jews influence Spanish Medieval
Cookery? If so precisely in what way and how can I research this more? I
am fascinated with what my friends in Mallorca say they have to offer. .
but not convinced.
 From the dark of the night,
Sue
My Jewish friends reply matazh and say they are dying of laughter with me for my total ignorance in Jewish cookery. My reply is I am charmed with such compliments. My mission in life is to make the whole world laugh, sing and dance with me with me over the pleasures of our inheritance in the art of cooking but while briefing me on my igornance please give me a devine Jewish dessert for my dinner party for 100 stressed out over critical Chileans of the jet set!

Suey, the desperate