[Sca-cooks] transcription and translation projects

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Apr 30 23:21:06 PDT 2006

Adamantius suggested:

Maybe we should ask for a
show of hands, and get people to talk about the transcription and
translation projects they've been involved in, in getting some of
this previously hard-to-access material out there and easily
accessible. Say, in the past five years? Just to show how the pool of
resources has grown? For example, in addition to cooking and teaching
in the SCA, I went out and located an old printed copy of a 15th-
century English cookbook in verse, scanned it, got it transcribed,
and now it's webbed. I'm working on a translation of the late-13th/
early-14th-century Enseignements. I suspect there are at least a
dozen comparable projects done by members of this list in the past
few years, and these are all going to be sources that the average
hobbyist didn't easily have access to several years ago.
  <<<

Well, I know there are other sites out there with a lot more
transcriptions available, but here is what is available in the
Florilegium in the FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS section:
About-Cheese-art  (12K)  3/ 4/05    "About Cheese" A tranlation by
Aelianora de
                                        Wintringham of a 1556 letter
on Swiss
                                        cheese and dairy products.
Eberhard-art      (91K)  6/29/05    A 15th century German recipe
collection
                                        translated by Giano Balestriere.
Enseignements-art (16K) 10/ 9/05    A translation of a 14th C. German
manuscript
                                        on preparing meats by Daniel
Myers (Doc).
Guisados1-art    (220K)  5/28/01    A translation of Ruperto de Nola's
                                        1529 "Libre del Coch", part 1
of 2
                                        by Lady Brighid ni Chiarain.
Guisados2-art    (116K)  5/28/01    "Libre del Coch". part 2 of 2.
                                        Lenten recipes.
Inntal-art        (32K)  6/29/05    An early 16th century recipe
collection from
                                        Bavaria translated by Giano
Balestriere.
Konigsberg-art    (28K)  6/29/05    A 15th century cookbook from East
Prussia
                                        translated by Giano Balestriere.
Romanian-ckbk-art (112K)  1/25/04    "A Translation of a 17th Century
Romanian
                                        Cookbook" by Lord Petru cel
paros Voda.

Adamantius, you mention above that you are working on a trnslation of
Enseignements. I don't know that there is a problem with having a
second translation of a single document, especially if you have a
particular personal reason for wanting to translate that particular
document. We have spent quite an amount of time, discussing and
comparing the various translations of Apicius, for instance.

However, many of these projects are just transcriptions or
translations, such as I believe, Enseignements for instance. I think
I'd find a set of redactions, from you, of Enseignements rather than
another translation to be much more useful.

And yes folks, I'd be interested in hosting the outputs of other
translation or transcription projects that you might be working on. I
have no requirements of exclusivity or any requirement that you
finish your work before adding it to the Florilegium. Since I take
updates at any time, getting your work online gives the option of
letting other people review the work you've done so far, and then
using their inputs to improve things and repost it.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com