[Sca-cooks] More about onions

King's Taste Productions kingstaste at comcast.net
Sat Apr 1 10:02:32 PST 2006

I was under the impression that any onion labeled "Vidalia" had to come
from that area of Georgia!  I thought it was a kind of trademark for
that specific area and type of sweet onion...something like anything
labeled "Champagne" has to come from that region of France (except for
American vintages, because the US refused to sign the agreement.

Kiri

You are correct, Kirisama, the name is trademarked.  The soil in that
area of the state is incredibly low in sulfur, so the same variety of
sweet onion grown elsewhere will not be as special.
Christianna