[Sca-cooks] catfish fries?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Apr 1 18:26:54 PST 2006

On Apr 1, 2006, at 9:18 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Gunthar-Bob mentioned:
> ====
> I was raised on catfish fries, fried chicken cooked in a 100 year
> old dutch oven (my only inheritance), greens, fried taters,
> tons of tea, mayonnaise and tomato sandwiches and southern barbecue.
> =====
>
> So, what are "catfish fries"? Is there supposed to be a comma in
> there? I think not, since you also mentioned fried taters later.
> So, is there a difference between "catfish fries" and "fried
> catfish"? Perhaps "catfish fries" are fried catfish which are cut
> into strips or nuggets before being fried, as opposed to using
> catfish fillets?

Catfish fries are presumably the plural of the occasion/venue where
catfish are fried for common, group consumption. Grammatically and
functionally similar to both clambakes and barbecues, I would think.

> There is a story on the front page of the Austin paper today, about
> a guy that caught a 43 pound carp in Town Lake today. Almost large
> enough to serve at an SCA feast, by itself. Of course since Town
> Lake runs through the middle of Austin, I'm not sure I would want
> to eat it. However, I guess he doesn't have to worry about eating
> it. The American Carp Society gave him $250,000 for beating the
> previous 41 pound record. That could buy a lot of seafood at a
> number of restaurants.

Shh, my wife will hear you and come home with one and hand it to me...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04