[Sca-cooks] The apprentege, Adamantius and Drakey

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Apr 2 08:37:03 PDT 2006

On Apr 2, 2006, at 10:22 AM, Denise Wolff wrote:

> I publicly want to state that I have worked in many a kitchen run
> by Adamantius and  that he runs a safe kitchen. I believe his
> convection story came from his exploits in the modern world of
> cooking.

That was in one of the groups which was once Eastern, but now
AEthelmearc. I'm blanking out on the name of the group, but it's
mundanely Binghamton, NY. Sterling Vale? Master Dyffan ap Iago (who
may not have been a Laurel at the time) had put some puff pastry in a
convection oven, and some of it, especially a large square of foil,
had decided to go for a little ride into the fan blades. In the
amount of time I had to make a decision, and before the fan motor
blew out (the dials had had some of the numbers worn away and nobody
actually present could figure out how to turn anything off), I
wrapped towels around my hands and went in, first removing the pans
and racks. It should be noted that I was tall enough to lean in
without ever really taking my all my weight off my feet, and I was
wearing good, protective clothing (my Mark I chef's cote). But I'm
sure it looked plenty Hansel and Gretel, and if the accounts of me as
a fireproof madman are a slight exaggeration, it does, after all,
make a smashing motion picture ;-)

> He is very good at rescuing other cooks from their mistakes at
> feasts. I feel safe and happy when he volunteers in my kitchen- I
> know things will get done right.
>
> I once cooked so many cheese dishes at the same time- the cheese
> goo in the oven caught fire....Adamantius was there to rescue me.
> No people, kitchen, or food was lost.

I like to think of myself as the kitchen equivalent of a Hitchhiker's
Guide, with the little "Don't Panic!" sign on it...

It's true, and especially so as I get older, that I need to be more
careful about my own well-being, but my most reckless moves have
generally been to protect others from some form of damage, and so far
I've been extremely lucky. But then, they also say you make your own
luck... ;-)

> Greatful,
> Andrea MacIntyre

Well, you're a peer now, and people get to be grateful to you! ;-)

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04