[Sca-cooks] re:cornbread

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Sun Apr 2 09:28:50 PDT 2006

> Cornbread mix/ (she asks with a derisive wave of her fan.) My
> Grandmoms are both standing on their heads in their graves rights
> now.  Bertha

Cornbread mix isn't totally worthless- if you get the right kind, it lets you
have cornbread conveniently when camping, if you can stand sweetened corn
bread. Like most convenience foods, it's edible, if not the best it can be.

I've had a fair amount of success with subbing in masa harina for corn meal
in recipes. It's much finer, so it gives a finer texture. And, since you
don't need the gluten for rising in quick breads, you can replace all of the
flour with it as well. It does just fine. And, using it instead of wheat
flour makes the food celiac friendly, too.

I also used masa in the spoonbread I made as the topper for the blueberry
compote I cobbled together last spring. Worked very well.

Phlip