[Sca-cooks] re:cornbread

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Apr 2 09:43:55 PDT 2006

On Apr 2, 2006, at 12:15 PM, Marcha wrote:

> Cornbread mix/ (she asks with a derisive wave of her fan.) My
> Grandmoms are both standing on their heads in their graves rights
> now.  Bertha

Okay, so, for the edification of the heathen among us, maybe we need
to discuss Die Echte Cornbread. I know most people who feel really
strongly about it seem to feel that only psychotic Yankees would add
sugar or molasses to cornbread (my personal feeling is that molasses
should be made into rum or thrown away), and then there's the school
that says it should not be made with yellow cornmeal.

Still, there seems to be a pretty enormous variety of styles.

My childhood memories of cornbread (bearing in mind that I don't come
from a region where cornbread is especially indigenous) are of
unsweetened, yellow cornbread, made rather shallow in a cake pan. It
probably would have contained a mixture of flour and cornmeal, salt,
butter, oil or some sort of shortening, an egg or two, baking powder,
and a little milk (sour, if there was such a thing on hand).

I'm sure there's plenty of sacrilege there, but due to a no-doubt-
improper upbringing, I don't know what it is. I probably use a higher
proportion of cornmeal to wheat flour than my mom did, and I often
use lard as a shortening, and bake it in an actual loaf pan, but
otherwise it's pretty similar to what I grew up with...

Is my cornbread damnation inevitable, or can my soul be saved at this
late date?

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782