[Sca-cooks] Seasonal, Local Sweet Onions;

King's Taste Productions kingstaste at comcast.net
Mon Apr 3 08:14:13 PDT 2006

Keeping our conversation in mind, I wanted to take some Vidalias to put
on a grill yesterday while visiting friends.  When I got to their local
supermarket (an Ingles outside of Anderson, SC), there were no Vidalias,
just a bin of "sweet onions".  No indication where they came from, but
the skins were very thin and papery like Vidalias and Texas Sweets.  I
bought four, took them over and peeled them, cut them in sixths while
keeping them attached at the bottom (sort of a blossom shape), added
organic butter and wrapped them in foil.  I put them on the grill and
cooked until they were soft.  They were good, (everyone raved), but they
were not as sweet as Vidalias would have been.  The thing is, the smell
of them will not leave my hands.  It is a much sharper smell than
Vidalias leave, and besides them not being quite as special as a Vidalia
treated the same way, I find it interesting that this lingering smell is
one of the real things I can see a difference in.
Just thought I'd share.
Christianna
Really thinking that I should start that Lenten Fast today...