[Sca-cooks] Seasonal, Local Sweet Onions;

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 3 07:38:07 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
While Vidalia onion plants when planted elsewhere will
NOT produce the same onion that we have all come to
know and love. There ARE other sweet onion varieties
that grow elsewhere that are comparable to them. One
in particular I know of are called "Walla-Walla
Sweets" They grow in Washington state and you can peel
them and eat the like an apple. SUPERB. They also do
not transplant well.

Lothar>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Walla Walla onions, per wikipedia and sweetonionsource.com, are a single
variety of seed originating in Italy, taken to Corsica and brought by an
French immiagrant in the 1800's.  Vidalias are one of about 15 seed
varieties (per vidaliaonion.com) approved and planted in the legally
stipulated geographic area.

Both are spectacular to cok with, and it is fun to carry on the rivalry.
I'm going to be in Seattle later this month and hope to chide on the Madrone
folks about the many virtues of Georgia Wines and Vidalia's 'Holy Fruit'.
If they were in season, I'd try to ssneak some in . . . .

niccolo difrancesco