[Sca-cooks] Clotted Cream

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 3 21:12:08 PDT 2006

Bear suggested:

Here, this might give you some ideas:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/news_features/2004/tavistock_cream_tea.shtml
<<<

Hmmm. The article keeps mentioning "Devon cream tea". What's the
connection between clotted cream and tea? or "cream tea"?

The article also mentions "the monks fed them with bread, clotted
cream and strawberry preserves.". Huh? The time for this was given as
roughly 11th Century. Strawberries? In our earlier discussions I
thought the only strawberries were from the Alps and they were much
smaller than today's hybrid strawberries. The Alps are quite a
distance from Tavistock. And how would they have been preserved?
Honey? That's too early for sugar and other info tends to point to
quince as the first fruit preserves.

And even disregarding the above, how do they get from "bread, clotted
cream and strawberry preserves" to a clotted cream with strawberries
mixed in? Or is this really meant as clotted cream served with
strawberry preserves at something like tea-time?

We have discussed clotted cream before and similar products. I don't
think we got into origins, but this file may have some info on making
such clotted creams:
clotted-cream-msg (36K) 12/15/04    Clotted cream products.
Devonshire cream.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/clotted-cream-msg.html
dairy-prod-msg   (104K)  1/23/05    Dairy products. milk, butter,
curds, cream.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/dairy-prod-msg.html

Stefan

> Greetings
> How old is Clotted cream , would it have been around 600 in Northern
> Europe?
> Da
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas