[Sca-cooks] Theft of reliquaries and wars

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 4 15:16:18 PDT 2006

ysabeau wrote:
> My daughter has recently been fascinated with history. She has
> been studying Texas history and has several stories about how
> Austin was "saved" as the capitol of Texas when people sought to
> steal objects that they thought would give them claim to the
> title. The same happened in county seats...
>
> hmmm...come to think of it, a similar theft occured in Austin a
> few years ago with redistricting...
>
> so the saga continues even into modern day, just the items being
> stolen to maintain power and to propagate into the future have
> changed.
>
> Sorry...but you got me to thinking and I had to think out loud...
>
> Ysabeau

Oddly enough, I'm reading a book about a similar kind of thing..."The
Holy Thief"...it's one of the Cadfael mysteries...a reliquary containing
the bones of St. Winifred is stolen from the Abbey church during a
flood.  turns out it was stolen by a monk from a neighboring abbey.
That abbey had been ravaged by outlaws and thieves and the brothers
turned out.  When the head thief died, the brothers were able to reclaim
their monastery, but found it in very bad shape.  They needed lots of
money to rebuild/refurbish, and the young man appears to have thought
that the presence of the reliquary would bring greater prestige to the
monastery, and therefore more money!

Kiri