[Sca-cooks] Re: Congratulations Iasmin ;-)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 15:06:43 PDT 2006

Well, almost 25 years ago, back in the days when they did drive-by Laurellings.  I was
Head Cook/Feeast-o-crat/whatever, for the June Coronation feast.  There I was, minding my
own recipes, attempting and succeeding to get my feast for 300 done by the time I said I would
get it done.  When in comes two of the king's guards, stating, "You are wanted in court."
I looked up in surprise.  "Sorry!  But I have a feast to put on.  I have no time right now."
They went away and came back with two more guardsmen.  I told them the same thing.  A bit
later they returned with a friend of mine, who said, "Please go!  I am positive you will like
it!"  "But I am in the middle of this dish, which will be ruined if I don't keep beating
it!"  "Let me take over for you?  You know I won't let it become ruined."  Reluctantly, I
allowed the guards to lead me into court, where I walked right into the middle of a Laureling
ceremony.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a vigil or any chance to clean myself up or make sure that my
family was there to see my elevation.  And afterwards, I didn't get many congratulations
and good wishes from others because I had to go back into the kitchen and finish the feast.
I also had to do clean up, because my clean up crew didn't show.

Please, let someone else take over for that feast.  You can do the prep work, but, trust me,
you don't want to miss out on all the hullaballoo and partying that goes with an elevation.
I never got such.  I wish that I could have enjoyed my day.  But I was just too responsible
to my commitments.  I feel like I was denied all that everyone else gets as part of this
passage.  You have earned this.  Allow yourself the fun and celebration!  You won't regret it!

Huette
Caid