[Sca-cooks] Theft of reliquaries and wars

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Apr 5 21:55:32 PDT 2006

The first one is the attempted theft of the Alamo flag for the First Company
of Texas Volunteers from New Orleans (the New Orleans Greys) from the Museum
of Foreign Interventions in Mexico City in 1998 (during the governorship of
one G. W. Bush).  There is an argument as to whether the formal Texas flag
at the Alamo was the Mexican Constitutional Flag of 1824 or the Lone Star
Flag as neither has been recovered nor is there any decisive statement in
the writings from the Alamo.

Cammerone (Mexico, 30 April 1863) IS La Belle Legion.  The arm belonged to
the officer commanding the French unit (can't remember his name off the top
of my head).  He was killed early in the fight against, if memory serves,
and command fell to the senior sergeant who used the officer's arm to rally
his men.  The French held on until they ran out of ammunition, then fixed
bayonets and charged a superior force.  All were killed.

There are some historians who say that it was not a massacre, that there
were survivors and they were permitted to retain theoir weapons, march to
the sea and were paroled to France.  Whatever the truth, Cammerone Day is
one of the FFL's greatest celebrations and it is commemorated in a mural
before which all Legionnaires enlist.

Bear