[Sca-cooks] Funeral foods ...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Apr 6 15:01:40 PDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 5:19 PM, Mairi Ceilidh wrote:

> Frivolous but amusing. Tr pb, 160 pp, index, biblio. Ten Speed Press
>
> Doesn't indicate time period, so its usefulness for period use
> would be a
> crap shoot if one couldn't look at before buying.  The "frivolous but
> amusing" note scares me.

Maybe non-scholarly, but amusing might be better (if indeed that's
what it is).

"Frivolous but amusing" reminds me of Robert B. Parker's detective
novel "Looking For Rachel Wallace", wherein appears the line (when a
character is criticized for the really cheap, smelly cigars he
smokes), "They're cheap, but they smell bad."

In the non-scholarly (and often downright wrong) but amusing
department, we have Martha Barnett's "Ladyfingers and Nun's Tummies",
a compendium of culinary fakelore purporting to provide the back
stories behind various food names. As you might anticipate, all the
classic (and probably false) stories about Delmonico's creating
Lobster Wenberg/Newberg, that sort of thing.

I was given a copy of that recently, and I tried to think of a nice
way to tell my lady wife not to waste the money, but sometimes you
just have to grin and bear it.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782