[Sca-cooks] Funeral foods ...

Judith L. Smith Adams judifer50 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 6 20:46:40 PDT 2006

"Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
On Apr 6, 2006, at 1:54 PM, Judith L. Smith Adams wrote:

> Sandra Kisner wrote: > >Well, the first thing
> that comes to mind is Hamlet's little joke
>>> about Gertrude and Claudius' wedding being so soon after the
>>> death of
>>> Hamlet the Elder that they could recycle the leftover pies from the
>>> funeral for the wedding feast...
>>>
>>> Adamantius
>>

> Just for clarification, the quote actually goes:
> "Thrift, thrift, Horatio! the funeral baked meats
> Did coldly furnish forth the marriage tables."
>
> I wasn't under the impression that specifically meant pies.
>
> Sandra
> So, scholars and cooks, what do we know about what Shakespeare
> meant - or didn't - by "baked meats"??
>
> Curiously,
> Judith

Based on the number of late-period and post-period recipes which
refer to meats baked in an oven (as opposed to roasted over or next
to a fire), these do tend to be pies, even when the recipe doesn't
specifically use the word "pie" or refer to pastry. But in general,
more often than not, a baked meat (as in the generic term bakemeats,
or recipes instructing the cook to bake a capon or a haunch of
venison) does tend to refer to some sort of pie. Often it's a long,
moist cooking method akin to slow braising in a sealed pot. In fact,
perfect for venison and wild turkeys ;-).

Some meats are baked in pots without pastry, but I'd think these are,
for the most part, exceptions to a more-or-less understood rule.
(They'll sometimes say something like, "in a pot without a coffin,"
or some such.)

Adamantius

  So, we have reason to think that baked meats are crusted pies or casseroles... Might/does it also refer to a haunch or hunk of something meaty baked in a crust, like a Wellington?

  And, medievally, was "coffin" the term for both a pastry enclosing food and a burial box?  I've never noticed!   In recipes I've seen so far (not such a large sample yet) there's no sense of punning about calling the pastry a "coffin," but do you/does anyone here know of it being a literary pun, by Shakespeare or anyone else??