[Sca-cooks] Funeral foods ...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Apr 7 04:02:18 PDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 11:46 PM, Judith L. Smith Adams wrote:

>   So, we have reason to think that baked meats are crusted pies or
> casseroles...

In the 17th century you also start to run across various
quelquechoses, florentines, and various other names for a collection
of items, often baked under puff pastry. At around the same time we
also start to see "puddings" moving away from a sausage form factor
toward puddings steamed or boiled in a cloth, or baked in a dish.
These last also often involve a pastry shell and/or cover.

> Might/does it also refer to a haunch or hunk of something meaty
> baked in a crust, like a Wellington?

I sort of want to say no, but can't really rule it out, either. In
general, though, I don't think an oven is a really efficient way to
convert fuel into cooked meat in really large pieces. Although the
Romans appear to have baked hams wrapped in pastry (which they
probably removed for service, and they may or may not have eaten the
pastry).

>   And, medievally, was "coffin" the term for both a pastry
> enclosing food and a burial box?  I've never noticed!   In recipes
> I've seen so far (not such a large sample yet) there's no sense of
> punning about calling the pastry a "coffin," but do you/does anyone
> here know of it being a literary pun, by Shakespeare or anyone else??

I'm not sure. Probably, but I can't put my finger on any specific
examples, and then, of course, I couldn't say what relationship
exists between the two concepts in non-English-language terminology.
But in English, there are several period terms for the box one buries
a corpse in, while today there are normally only two, and only one
also can refer to a pastry shell.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782