[Sca-cooks] Way OT Book Question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 6 23:30:03 PDT 2006

Wanda Pease/Regina Romsey asked:
  ========
I've fallen under the spell of LibraryThing.com and have been cheerfully
entering my library.  Since my computer set up is in the breakfast nook
where I also keep my cookbooks I started with them.  Then I circulated
around the ground floor (bathroom, bedrooms, dining room, living room
all
have books shelved somewhere).  My problem is that a number of my
cookbooks
are either spiral bound like Byzantine Cuisine, or Comb bound like
"How to
Cook Forsoothly" and the various church books. I have had to start
and stop
enough times that I'm beginning to lose track of which books have
gone in and which still need to be catalogued.
=======

I've run into this problem as well. I've tried two different general
purpose database programs and one specialized for books (Readerware).
The problem was that each time I had to start over, for various
reasons, I wanted to keep straight which books had been entered and
which hadn't. I simply started by writing on the inside cover of the
book "DB" and the date it was entered into the database. Since I'm
now on the third database, I'm now writing "DB3-" and the date. I've
now wised up and also started marking the books in pencil instead of
pen.

My biggest problem is that a lot of these spiral bound books or
pamphlets, which includes a lot of books published for SCA
consumption, do not have either ISBN or Library of Congress numbers.
My program automatically gets the rest of the info off of the
internet given those numbers, but for the ones that don't have the
numbers I'm going to have to enter everything by hand. Which I
haven't found time for.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas