[Sca-cooks] Funeral foods ...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Apr 7 04:16:47 PDT 2006

On Apr 7, 2006, at 12:48 AM, Susan Fox wrote:

> On 4/6/06 7:51 PM, "Judith L. Smith Adams" <judifer50 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> So we have "sweetmeats" and "nutmeats" and flesh-meat, fish-meat,
>> and ????
>> Any other such??!
>
> "White meats" meaning dairy foods.
>
> If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!  [Pink
> Floyd moment
> there, I'm back now.]

I believe somewhere in Martin Gardner's "The Annotated
'Alice'" (which is, as the name implies, an copiously annotated
edition of Lewis Carroll's books about Alice Liddell, or the first
two, anyway), there's a lot of commentary about when the course
structure of an English dinner changed. I forget the details, but
apparently the order of service between the meat and the pudding was
swapped one way or the other.

This actually makes some sense, if you view the pudding as an
accompaniment to meat (say, Yorkshire pudding, often cooked alongside
the meat, served with gravy, etc.), and used to bulk out/extend the
meat itself, versus puddings used as desserts, as sugar and dried
fruit become less like luxuries. At some point there's this shift...

But yes, I am now hearing, in my head, a voice like a drill-sergeant
screaming, "How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your
meat???" To which I helpfully respond, "Well, see, sergeant-major, in
the 19th century..."

etc., etc.

Adamantius (never much of a PF fan, and who used to sing "We don'
need no steenkeeng badges" to that tune)

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04