[Sca-cooks] Funeral foods ...

Judith L. Smith Adams judifer50 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 09:58:04 PDT 2006

Chuckle...

"Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
On Apr 7, 2006, at 12:24 PM, Judith L. Smith Adams wrote:

> So "meat" refers not even to flesh in a larger sense (nutmeat) but
> to either the substantive element in a dish - nutmeat again, or to
> the item or dish itself - sweetmeat, for example, but not *quite*
> to the entire class "food."

I think that the simplest way to respond here is to say that
sometimes, it _does_ simply mean "food". At least, maybe solid foods,
unlike, say, a pottage that still may be made with meat in it. In
some Anglo-Norman texts you've got references to viaundes (nowadays,
more or less analogous to "meat"), char (again, as in charcuterie,
"meat"), and mete ('food").

As in, take these ingredients and do such-and-such with them, and
that is good meat...

> Don't think one would refer to all the foods served at a feast or
> meal as "the meats."

Well, how about the concept of "that is my meat and that is my
drink"? Or the fact that subtleties and other fancy dishes are
brought in as entremets? Or, "the king is now sitting at his meat'?

> Which still leaves "baked meats" inconclusive about what it does
> and does not mean...

Well, how about this: think about all the foods you can name that are
medieval, and baked in an oven. Are they not, for the most part,
largely similar?

> Love those semantics... really :)
>
> Judith

The fact that people have been discussing this for more than 24
hours, having a good time without arguing, suggest that very
thing... ;-)

Adamantius