[Sca-cooks] Funeral word defnitions

King's Taste Productions kingstaste at comcast.net
Fri Apr 7 10:22:31 PDT 2006

Snip, snip, snip...

Here are some OED definitions.
Christianna

Box: a case or receptacle usually having a lid - ME
a slap or cuff on the side of the head - 1440

Bury: 1. to deposit in the ground, in a tomb; to inter. Hence to commit
to the sea, with funeral rites.  2 To put under ground; esp. in sign of
final abandonment or abrogation - 1535.

CASK: 3. Casket

Casket: 1467. [of unknown etym.: in form a dim. of, but earlier than,
CASK)
1. a small box or chest for jewels, letters or other things of value,
itself often of value and richly ornamented.   - To enclose or put up in
a casket: "I have casketed my treasure..." All's Well That Ends Well II.
V.26

Coffer: 1. a box, chest: esp. a strong box in which money or valuables
are kept. ME   2. an ark - 1711   3. a coffin -1555.

Coffin: [ME coffin, coffyn, etc.] 1. a basket - 1552. 2. a chest, case,
casket, box - 1677  3. spec. The box in which a corpse is enclosed for
burial. (The current sense) 1525  4. Cookery. The crust of a pie - 1750;
a pie-dish - 1662.  5. A paper case; spec. a cornet for groceries, etc.,
1577.