[Sca-cooks] Funeral foods ...

Tom Vincent tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 6 12:25:14 PDT 2006

>From Romeo & Juliet (Act 4, Scene 4):

                    LADY CAPULET       Hold, take these keys, and fetch more spices, Nurse.

                 NURSE       They call for dates and quinces in the pastry.

              Enter CAPULET
            .
                 CAPULET       Come, stir, stir, stir! The second cock hath crowed.       The curfew bell hath rung. 'Tis three o'clock.      Look to the baked meats, good Angelica.         Spare not for the cost.

  So maybe dates and quinces and pastry and baked meats go together?

  http://shakespeare.about.com/library/blglossB.htm considers 'baked meats' to mean 'meat-pies, pastry'.

"Judith L. Smith Adams" <judifer50 at yahoo.com> wrote:

Sandra Kisner wrote: > >Well, the first thing that comes to mind is Hamlet's little joke
> >about Gertrude and Claudius' wedding being so soon after the death of
> >Hamlet the Elder that they could recycle the leftover pies from the
> >funeral for the wedding feast...
> >
> >Adamantius

Just for clarification, the quote actually goes:
"Thrift, thrift, Horatio! the funeral baked meats
Did coldly furnish forth the marriage tables."

I wasn't under the impression that specifically meant pies.

Sandra
So, scholars and cooks, what do we know about what Shakespeare meant - or didn't - by "baked meats"??

Curiously,
Judith

Tom Vincent
Demon Prince (retired)

It's a good thing the phrase "the tipping point" became a cliche just in time to help us describe global warming. Just a few years ago, we were more or less cruising along on global warming, with maybe 50 years or so to Do Something about it. Suddenly, the only question is how soon to push the panic button, and 10 minutes ago appears to be the right answer.
- Molly Ivins
http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?itemid=20595