[Sca-cooks] Funeral foods ...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Apr 6 11:03:26 PDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 12:09 PM, King's Taste Productions wrote:

> I'm going to make a guess here - warning - just a guess - that "pies
> left over from the funeral" were probably made from whatever was
> normally served from the kitchen during that season and according
> to the
> wealth of the family.

I assume so. The line, as best as I can recall it, is:

"The funeral baked meats did coldly serve
the wedding supper"

> Foods that have to do with some part of the
> ceremony and/or the body are more specific, but foods to feed the
> mourners and funeral attendees would be more along the practical
> lines.
> - end of guess -
> Christianna

There are surely any number of local funerary customs pertaining to
food, from grave goods to apotropaics (devices to ward off evil). One
source which touches on them (if backhandedly) is Paul Barber's
"Vampires, Burial, And Death", which concerns the curiously complex
relationship between funerary customs and superstitions about various
revenant ghosties and ghoulies, and how they sort of feed off each
other, each in turn. There are probably better general sources about
funerary customs; that was just one I happen to be familiar with, and
it's an excellent one, if it contains only a little bit of info on
food as it pertains to all this. But some of what it does touch on is
ritual cannibalism in various forms (just _let_ that body try to get
up and walk around after the whole village has just eaten it!!!),
customs like spilling bags of millet seed on the doorstep before
bedtime, so any vampires intending to haunt their relatives will be
compelled to stop and count every seed (in the dark!) before they can
enter the house (I'm fairly convinced that whoever came up with The
Count muppet on Sesame Street encountered this particular superstition).

In addition, there are probably specific local funerary recipes,
things like black foods for mourners, or some such. I think there's
some documentation for that in the Italian Renaissance literature.

As Christianna suggests, there are also some very basic
practicalities involved: pies of the type described earlier are good
because they keep for a long time if not cut into -- you can make
them in advance, and keep them in the larder for whenever you need
them (within reason). A lot of the funerary pot-luck "casserole-ey"
items you see at people's homes after funerals probably have some
inspiration in that basic concept.

Adamantius