[Sca-cooks] Funeral foods ...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Apr 6 10:22:38 PDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 12:00 PM, Christiane wrote:

>> Well, the first thing that comes to mind is Hamlet's little joke
>> about Gertrude and Claudius' wedding being so soon after the death of
>> Hamlet the Elder that they could recycle the leftover pies from the
>> funeral for the wedding feast...
>>
>> Adamantius
>

> I thought of that too. :-) So, what kinds of pies do you think were
> served? Were they just the typical everyday meat pies or "special"
> pies?
>
> Gianotta (can't wait for the food scholarly debate)

Well, assuming we're talking about Tudor England and not [really]
about the foodways of 11th [?] century Denmark, the "funeral baked
meats" would probably have involved beef, venison or various birds,
baked either with plenty of butter to keep them moist and air-free
(we may be talking about a primitive potting/canning air-exclusion
method here), or the juices drained and replaced with a sort of
custard sauce made with wine, maybe sugar, and egg yolks, allowed to
cook a bit in the hot pie, and then cool to thicken.

But I'm speaking _very_ generally here... there will be dozens of
exceptions that any right-thinking SCAdian will be glad, indeed bound
by an irresistible inner compulsion, to bring up in a heartbeat... ;-)

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04