[Sca-cooks] Question about illusion food, menus, ingredient lists and surprises...

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Fri Apr 7 11:14:14 PDT 2006

>Basically, I'm planning a "bait and switch."
>
>This is what I want to do:
>"pears in wine sauce"= meatballs shaped like pears served in galentyne (or
>other red wine colored sauce)
>"hedgehogges"=marzipan hedgehogges
>
>"Walnuts" that are some sort of upsidedown tart baked in walnut shaped tart
>pans.
>
>So, I pride myself on people having *plenty* of notice about what's in
>things before feast so they can decide whether or not to eat them.
>
>How do I do this so I don't give the surprise away to the general
>population?

If this is only a small part of the feast, they should be able to decide if
they want to go on-board from the rest of the menu.  That said, is it
possible to serve, say, both meatballs that look like pears *and* pears
that look like meatballs in the same course?  As long as they were told
before eating to make the switch (a *real* bait and switch!) perhaps those
with dietary restrictions would still be ok.

Sandra