[Sca-cooks] Lutefisk and strange dreams...

Judith L. Smith Adams judifer50 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 8 00:17:11 PDT 2006

Ah, lutefisk... my Norwegian grandmother and her sister LOVED their lutefisk (shudder) and used to dream of the next Sons of Norway *feast*... Both husbands kicked up such a ruckus if they even talked about the stuff that neither wife ever cooked it at home.  Aunt Sylvie, however, made the world's all-time great pickled herring - the kind that begins with a rock-hard dessicated substitute for a club.  As a kid, I wouldn't touch it, but once I reached the age of discernment, I discovered that pickled fish is one of the finer things in life... Regretfully, Aunt Sylvie never got round to teaching me to make it her way, but to this day - today, as I write - there is a quart jar of pickled herring in my frig, waiting for the next snack attack or need for an emergency meal... pickled herring, drool, must eat.... :)
  Judith

Huette von Ahrens <ahrenshav at yahoo.com> wrote:
    Many years ago, when I did a Viking banquet, Selene asked jokingly if I was going
to serve lutefisk. I joked back and said yes. Subsequently, I decided to add it as a
joke to the last course of my banquet, the fish course. Knowing the ick factor of lutefisk,
I decided not to make real lutefisk, but instead served white almond jello molded in fish
molds.
  SNIP
  Huette
Caid