[Sca-cooks] Lutefisk and strange dreams...

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 8 10:15:12 PDT 2006

On 4/8/06 1:49 AM, "Huette von Ahrens" <ahrenshav at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yummmmm.... pickled herring... Which kind?
>
> My Prussian grandmother who also lived by the shore of the Baltic, just the
> other side, also made
> delicious pickled herring [the wine version] and absolutely scrumptious
> röllmops!  Unfortunately,
> by the time I got interested in making either, my grandmother had ceased to
> cook and her memory
> was no longer reliable... Sigh.  But one day, I hope, I will stumble on a
> recipe that will
> come close...
>
> Huette

Well, I'm a fish fan, let's get together and experiment some time.  First we
get you to sit down, really get into your childhood state of mind and recall
everything you remember about your grandmother's original.  Depending if
your mother is awake and if you're talking about her mother, maybe she can
help with whatever she remembers too.  Every little bit helps.

I did make the effort in my 20's to collect family recipes from my mother,
even a few from my father [O that Cioppino!] and although they happen to be
alive and well today, I'm glad I did.  My grandmother was easier:  I knew
which cookbooks she used.  [JEWISH COOKERY by Leah Leonard for the cheese
blintzes and the good ol' SETTLEMENT COOK BOOK for the sugar cookies, if
anybody cares.]

Meanwhile, back on topic... Tryggve was the only one who really regretted
not having real lutefisk, that I know of anyway.  I told him more recently,
he could get it at IKEA near the holidays.  That made him happy.

I did make real picked herring for the Angels Twelfth Night several years
ago, the one with the Russian course for starters.  Almost all of it came
back.  I admit to being a bit disappointed but not truly surprised.

Selene