[Sca-cooks] When meat isn't meat

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 8 12:17:26 PDT 2006

From: Daniel Myers <eduard at medievalcookery.com>
>On Apr 7, 2006, at 2:30 PM, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>  > In modern French "viande" means "meat" generally. But in late SCA-
>  > period French cookbooks, "viande" means... mmm... filling food, not
>  > necessarily containing animal flesh. When animal flesh in intended
>  > the books use the word "chair" which means "flesh".
>
>Maybe "char" has that meaning in Middle-French, but I'm not sure.  In
>15th century English there are recipes that use "char" to refer to
>the flesh of fruit.  Both of the examples below have their names
>clearly taken from French.

Yup. When flesh is intended, "chair" or "char" is used - be it flesh
of animal or flesh of fruit.

>  Chare de wardoun leche...

>  Chare de Wardone...

I notice when some people make these recipes, they seem to think that
"chardewardon" is the fruit, without realizing that it's three words
run together.

I haven't noticed it used for vegetables, but that only means i
haven't noticed. Can anyone think of an example?
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita