[Sca-cooks] Lutefisk and strange dreams...

"Ana L. Valdés" agora at algonet.se
Sun Apr 9 02:01:46 PDT 2006

I am very curious about the lutefisk issue. I live in Stockholm and
before Christmas all foodstores offer lutefish, along with all other
things who belongs to the "Julbord", the special smörgåsbord eaten only
in Christmas.
But I don't know anybody younger than 70 years old who really buys or
eats the lutefish! People here buy for Christmas ham, pickled sill,
meatballs, different porridges made of rice or wheat, meatjellies, but
you seldom see lutefish in the Christmas table, with the said exception,
the older people, who remember or keep their childhood uses.
Which is the difference between the lutefish and what the portuguese
call "bacalao", or "cabello"?
I have eaten bacalao for Lent since my family was practising Catholics
and the bacalao was done in a kind of stew, with chickpeas and tomatoes.
Is the same stuff?
Ana