Cheese Goo was Re: [Sca-cooks] What happened to the archives?

ekoogler1 at comcast.net ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 11 10:36:43 PDT 2006

Selene wrote:

> I had to go check the original [care of Cariadoc] to see... nope, the
> color is not mentioned.
>
> Digby p. 228/177
>
> Cut pieces of quick, fat, rich, well tasted cheese, (as the best of
> Brye, Cheshire, &c. or sharp thick Cream-Cheese) into a dish of thick
> beaten melted Butter, that hath served for Sparages or the like, or
> pease, or other boiled Sallet, or ragout of meat, or gravy of Mutton:
> and, if you will, Chop some of the Asparages among it, or slices of
> Gambon of Bacon, or fresh-collops, or Onions, or Sibboulets, or
> Anchovis, and set all this to melt upon a Chafing-dish of Coals, and
> stir all well together, to Incorporate them; and when all is of an equal
> consistence, strew some gross White-Pepper on it, and eat it with tosts
> or crusts of White-bread. You may scorch it at the top with a hot
> Fire-Shovel.

OK, I misremembered the color...but wouldn't "quick" imply a soft cheese rather than a hard one like cheddar?

> In the typical Atlantian presentation, which of the "condiments" are
> most commonly included?  Bacon, onions, anchovies, all of the above?

We usually see it served as a sauce over veggies, with a sprinkling of bacon on the top, then browned in the oven.

> Mmmmm. Anchovies.

Sorry...the only way I eat anchovies is in Bagna Cauda!!!  In that dish the anchovies are so well hidden that they add richness to it and the result is oh, so very yummy!!!

Kiri