Cheese Goo was Re: [Sca-cooks] What happened to the archives?

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 11 09:13:55 PDT 2006

>>--Anne-Marie
>>ps...there's a very similar ramekins of cheese in la Varenne. Yum :)

Maybe someone with the new edition of La Varenne could post this recipe
please?

>Yes, that's usually the way it's served here in Atlantia.  However, some folks recently have done it more as a fondue with bread and meat.  The only version I haven't been quite able to understand are those who use cheddar cheese as one of the cheeses...IIRC, the original clearly calls for a white cheese...and I think it's a soft white cheese.  Now I know that there is a white cheddar, the time I saw it done, they used regular orangey-yellow cheddar!

I had to go check the original [care of Cariadoc] to see... nope, the
color is not mentioned.

Digby p. 228/177

Cut pieces of quick, fat, rich, well tasted cheese, (as the best of
Brye, Cheshire, &c. or sharp thick Cream-Cheese) into a dish of thick
beaten melted Butter, that hath served for Sparages or the like, or
pease, or other boiled Sallet, or ragout of meat, or gravy of Mutton:
and, if you will, Chop some of the Asparages among it, or slices of
Gambon of Bacon, or fresh-collops, or Onions, or Sibboulets, or
Anchovis, and set all this to melt upon a Chafing-dish of Coals, and
stir all well together, to Incorporate them; and when all is of an equal
consistence, strew some gross White-Pepper on it, and eat it with tosts
or crusts of White-bread. You may scorch it at the top with a hot
Fire-Shovel.

In the typical Atlantian presentation, which of the "condiments" are
most commonly included?  Bacon, onions, anchovies, all of the above?

Mmmmm. Anchovies.

Selene