[Sca-cooks] Cooking Feasts without a Kitchen

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 11 10:55:53 PDT 2006

Muiriath wrote:
>   I was asked many weeks ago to cook Coronation Feast again here in
>Caid. Doing this is not a problem, except I was told that I will not
>have any kitchen facilities.  I will have a dayshade or 2,
>electricity and a water source but no sink.  Also, i live about 1
>1/2 hours away from the site so cooking at my home and bringing it
>there will be difficult. Oh and no refrigeration either.
>
>   I will look into buying/renting a big pit BBQ roaster for meats
>but any other things will have to be simple.

This may be redundant, but...

I cooked a wedding meal for between 80 and 120. The site had a
kitchen, but had run out of money before it was furnished. It had a
modest sink, big deep counters, lots of electrical plugs, a small
home microwave, and a small home refrigerator (which was full of
wedding beverages, so i didn't use it).

I rented a convection oven that would hold 4 half-sheet pans and a
friend brought a small "hot plate" that was large enough to boil a
half-gallon pot of water. I tried to rent a more commodious
microwave, but none of the places i called rented them.

I live about 2 hours from the site, which was in the Santa Cruz
Mountains along a dangerous and winding highway in fog and rain.

So i pre-cooked and pre-made most stuff.

I cooked 30 lb of pot roast (with 10 lb of potatoes, 10 lb. of
carrots, 5 lb. parsnips, and a *big* can of tomatoes and other
seasonings) at home (that took almost 9 hours - since i had to make
it in three loads) a couple weeks before the feast, and froze it. I
cooked 25 lb of chicken in a spice and fruit sauce at home and froze
it.

I made several sauces and dips, boiled about 100 eggs...

I took the meats out of my freezer well ahead of time so they'd thaw.

On site we reheated the meats, peeled the eggs, made a Caesar salad
from scratch (i had purchased garlic herb croutons at an artisanal
bakery near me), stuffed (with stuffing i'd made) and broiled fresh
mushrooms, microwave-steamed the broccoli... the rest is a fog, since
i didn't get enough sleep the night before (isn't that the way it
usually is?)

Now, granted this wasn't an SCA feast, but once again, the keys were
(1) planning the menu - making sure there were lots of dishes that
didn't have to be hot - and (2) pre-making as much as possible.

So... i recommend renting a convection oven, planning so that most
food doesn't have to be hot and making made ahead as much as possible.

Several years ago i made a feast for 150 that would be served at a
very rustic site. We were allowed to have propane stove ONLY on one
parking lot, as there was a high fire hazard level that August. I
made MOST of the food myself - i froze the meat dishes. Then on-site
we made dishes or assembled cold dishes, made couscous (and by
request tabbouleh, but without tomatoes :-) that involved only
pouring hot water over the grains and letting them sit in covered
pans, and heated the frozen foods using one of those big three burner
propane stoves on tall legs.

Again the keys were pre-cooking and reheating hot dishes, pre-making
as many cold dishes as possible, and making other cold dishes on-site.

While this feast was mostly period Middle Eastern, similar things can
be done with period European feasts. Tarts are great pre-made. And
here you have a huge range of possibilities - meat, veggie,
egg-and-cheese, fruits.

The Greco-Roman feast for 100 i did also featured dishes about half
of which were made ahead. That site was a church with limited
facilities (two home kitchen electric stoves, a double sink that
tended to back up through a floor drain into the kitchen, a small
home refrigerator). We assembled a number of dishes on site, and one
of the main things we cooked in the ovens (four home size) was
roasted chicken.

Because of the virtual lack of refrigeration, a number of my cook
helpers brought coolers for the things that needed to be kept cool.

My feast descriptions are on my website
http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/diningniche.html

Washing up - you'll need some cooker to boil water and lots of dish
pans. Set up several stable tables and have several wash stations,
each with a hot soapy dishpan, a warm rinse pan, and a second rinse
pan - i've never added any of those sterilizing additives - in a
situation like this they're probably not necessary. And of course
some way to dispose of the grey water...
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita