[Sca-cooks] how to make bread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Apr 12 06:22:06 PDT 2006

With a propane stove, Coleman oven, some medium size bowls and a fair size
skillet you should be able to make most types of bread.  What you really
need to know are the limits of your equipment and your ability to use it.
Since you state you "are looking for ways to make bread," I am assuming a
limited knowledge of bread and baking and, most likely, inexperience with
your field kitchen.

If you are not normally a baker, get a good book on breadmaking.  I like
Nick Malgieri's "How To Bake," but there are any number of good, basic
books, often available inexpensively at a used book store.  This will give
you techniques for preparation and basic recipes to test.

Get a good oven thermometer that will not get in the way of loading the
oven.  The thermometer on the front of Coleman ovens is nearly worthless.
If you can't get the oven to recipe temperature, you will need instructions
on how to modify the baking time.  If you bake at 3000 feet above sea level
or higher, you will need instructions on how to modify the recipe and the
baking time for high altitude baking.

To learn the process and your equipment, start in the backyard by baking
quickbreads:  biscuits, scones, muffins, cookies.  Then move on to yeast
breads.  It also helps to bake at home regularly to increase your experience
with the baking process.

If you do yeast breads in the field with any regularity, you will want to
add baker's cloths to your kit for kneading and covering the bowls (I tend
to use 2 to 3 foot squares of unbleached muslin with the edges hemmed).

The various responses to your initial question, should raise a few more
questions of your own, so ask away.

Bear