[Sca-cooks] how to make bread

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Wed Apr 12 10:36:14 PDT 2006

> marilyn traber 011221 <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:
> I was looking for > ways to make bread at camp...
>   Daniel in the northern west lands
> _______________________________________________ Sca-cooks
>
> Quick breads (biscuits, cornbread and the like) are usually the
> easiest, but you can make yeast breads quite handily with a cst iron
> dutch oven. Set your pread pan in the oven, on rocks or pepples, or
> (if you're going for hi-tech ;-) a trivet, so the bottom doesn't
> touch the bottom of the oven, put the whole shebang in the coals or
> on a stove, and the whole thing will heat up, hitting your bread
> from all sides with heat. Pre-made bread mixes work just fine. Phlip
> ***************************************************************  Do
> you preheat the dutch oven before adding the bread dough?    Judith

Can. Whole thing heats pretty quickly though, if you have the sort that holds
coals on the top.

See, iron and steel don't transfer heat as quickly as copper and aluminum do,
and you don't wind up with hot spots. The heat spreads slowly and thoroughly
through the whole pot, and tends to maintain an average heat in the heated
area, which in this case is the entire pot. It's one of the reasons that I
can hold a piece of steel in my hand when working it at the forge, if it's
long enough. The heat spreads slowly and evenly up the length of the metal,
and I have plenty of warning if I need to quench the held end, which will
approach 150 degrees F, while the heated end may be 1500 degrees. I wouldn't
do the same thing with copper or aluminum, because the heat moves too fast.

Phlip