[Sca-cooks] SCA-Period Ottoman Cookbook

Patrick Levesque petruvoda at videotron.ca
Wed Apr 12 16:56:58 PDT 2006

I actually tried two of these recipes already - they are quite delicious!

I'm not so sure about the meat always being lamb or mutton - I have a
feeling this may be an assumption by Yerasimos. Especially in the
Tuffahiyya, where his translation of the recipe is, by mistake, is actual
redaction!

This said, Charles Perry mentions Sirvani in his introduction to his latest
translation of "A Baghdad Cookery Book" - maybe he could confirm this (and
tell us whether he plans to translate Sirvani eventually :-))

Petru

> Here's a list of recipes with *my* brief descriptions - the meat is
> always lamb or mutton:

<snip - lots of delicious sounding stuff ->

> * Tuffahiyya - apples stuffed with meat
 * Herise - harissa of rice - whoa! This is medieval blancmange