[Sca-cooks] SCA-Period Ottoman Cookbook

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 12 17:21:54 PDT 2006

Patrick Levesque <petruvoda at videotron.ca> wrote:
>I actually tried two of these recipes already - they are quite delicious!

I assume you used Cirvani's recipes and not Yerasimos's modern ones :-)

>I'm not so sure about the meat always being lamb or mutton - I have a
>feeling this may be an assumption by Yerasimos.

I agree that there could be other meats, so other than goat, what
else do you think is likely? Yerasimos writes in his one of his
essays about how with the strictures of Islam on meat, making what is
hunted practically haram - because you have to pray directly over the
animal before you kill it - (there are some "cheats" such as praying
over your weapon before sending it into the animal) so gradually
deer/gazelles/etc., rabbit/hares, and other wild prey were eliminated
from the diets of most Muslims.

>Especially in the
>Tuffahiyya, where his translation of the recipe is, by mistake, is actual
>redaction!

Which one? Yerasimos published two quite different Tuffahiyyes.

>This said, Charles Perry mentions Sirvani in his introduction to his latest
>translation of "A Baghdad Cookery Book" -

Which i'll be ordering this week :-)

>maybe he could confirm this (and
>tell us whether he plans to translate Sirvani eventually :-))

THAT would be great.

Until then, i'm going to be translating the French versions of the
originals for SCA purposes. And i'll post them here...
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita