[Sca-cooks] SCA-Period Ottoman Cookbook

Patrick Levesque petruvoda at videotron.ca
Thu Apr 13 17:33:41 PDT 2006

> I agree that there could be other meats, so other than goat, what
> else do you think is likely? Yerasimos writes in his one of his
> essays about how with the strictures of Islam on meat, making what is
> hunted practically haram - because you have to pray directly over the
> animal before you kill it - (there are some "cheats" such as praying
> over your weapon before sending it into the animal) so gradually
> deer/gazelles/etc., rabbit/hares, and other wild prey were eliminated
> from the diets of most Muslims.

I'm thinking not only goat and, dear/gazelles, but possibly wild asses and
even maybe aurochs (the latter which, if I remember correctly, the Romanian
principalities did send in tribute on occasion).

> Which one? Yerasimos published two quite different Tuffahiyyes.

I'm talking about the one on pp.66-67, which involves dates and almonds as
well. That's the one were the translation as by mistake been replaced by the
redaction. Frustrating, since it's really quite decadent :-)) I actually
posted about this recipe and the rice herise earlier this winter.

Petru