[Sca-cooks] SCA-Period Ottoman Cookbook

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Apr 12 18:16:24 PDT 2006

For the Midrealm Coronation feast on the 22nd of April and to answer
some related
questions on another list I have been looking into Ottoman foods also.
Besides all the EEBO materials and descriptions of foods encountered by
Westerners, there's a huge amount of other stuff.
Among the most interesting online articles that I have come across is
this one:

“The Imperial Procession: Recreating a world's order” by Stephane
Yerasimos. It examines the feasts and festivals of the Ottoman Court.
http://www.geocities.com/surnamei_vehbi/yerasimos.html
by the author of A la Table du Grand Turc which can be acquired from
Amazon Canada.

For those that are intrigued by the topic and would like to read more,
I can suggest the following books in English.

Cevik, Nihal K. (Editor), Imperial Taste, 700 Years of Culinary
Culture. Ankara : Republic of Turkey, Ministry of Culture, the General
Directorate of Research and Development of Folk Cultures, 2000.
Footnotes and bibliography along with pictures and some recipes.
Also includes a translation of The Bursa or Edict of Standards from 1502.

One book with marvelous pictures is:
The Food Culture of the Ottoman Palace by Gary Oberling and Grace Martin
Smith. Istanbul : Society of Friends of Topkapi Palace Museum, 2001.
Again great illus; good text with footnotes; Lots of information on the
16th century court.

The newest and perhaps one of the most interesting:
Yerasimos, Marianna 500 Years Of Ottoman Cuisine ISBN : 9752301614
Publisher : Boyut Yayın in İstanbul.
It was just published in Dec. 2005, so it’s not available for
interlibrary loan.
Prices vary widely. 46.99 down to 23.00 if purchased from Istanbul.
It includes a great chapter on food and culinary sources
in Ottoman history, inc. palace records. Also nearly 100 recipes ranging
from 14-17th centuries. With illustrations.

{One can get the Servani recipes but they have not been translated.}

The easiest way to obtain Turkish books is to order them directly from
Istanbul. Should anyone get motivated and want to order from Turkey, I'd
suggest EREN Books. http://www.eren.com.tr/
While it can take 6 weeks or longer at the cheapest book rate, my books
came in roughly two weeks.
Otherwise do try interlibrary loan, but be prepared to wait.

http://www.tulumba.com is another online Turkish store with lots of stuff.
They also carry some books.

Hope this helps,

Johnnae llyn Lewis