[Sca-cooks] OOP - Speaking of Coca Cola

Celia des Archier celiadesarchier at cox.net
Wed Apr 12 23:01:10 PDT 2006

I saw Coca-Cola Blak in my grocery store last week, and being intrigued by
the packaging (Coca-Cola has the best marketers in the world), took a look
at it to see what it was.

To describe it, the label says only "fusion drink", so I turn to the
ingredients.

Carbonated water, *high fructose corn syrup*, caramel color, natural
flavors, coffee extract, phosphoric acid, potassium sorbate and potassium
benzoate (to protect taste), caffeine, aspartame, acesulfame potassium

So... sugar, aspartame *and* acesulfame potassium (OMG!  How sweet is this
going to be!?) and coffee enhanced by caffeine?

While there are only 12 g of carbs/sugars in the bottle (compared to around
30-40 in a bottle of cola), it's also only an 8 oz. bottle (compared to a
12oz. cola)

And I don't even want to know how much caffeine is in it.  But then
Coca-Cola has a habit of adding caffeine to pretty much anything they can
get away with (again - great marketing... caffeine gives you a "high" and is
mildly addictive, but only in large enough quantities used repeatedly... as
anyone who drinks a lot of caffeine and has had to suffer the 3 day headache
that comes with flushing it from your system ;-)

So I passed.  I think I'll decline trying this particular Coke product.